[LLVMdev] Is it possible to use EE within optimization pass?

Nick Lewycky nicholas at mxc.ca
Mon Oct 27 09:36:14 PDT 2008

bhavani krishnan wrote:
> I realize my questions may not have been so clear. To give more details. I am writing a fuction pass. I want to interpret some of the instructions within the function pass. In order to do so, I need to create an EE object within the function pass. Now, If I compile and execute using opt. I get an error(Error loading symbol) at the line where I am creating EE.
> opt: symbol lookup error: ../../../build/Release/lib/Try.so: undefined symbol: _ZN4llvm15ExecutionEngine6createEPNS_14ModuleProviderEbPSs

> So, I thought I need to link the EE library files as it is not able to load EE. In order to do so, I added the line LINK_COMPONENTS=engine to the Makefile. Now, when I execute using opt, I get the error that the pass is registered multiple times. I know that there has to be a way out of this. Please let me know how I should link/load the EE library files with my optimization pass.

Make sure you aren't linking both your pass against the EE and the opt
program against the EE.

> I hope the question is clear now. Sorry for repeating so many times.

If you're in a rush, I suggest that you just drop 'opt' and build your
own standalone opt-like program which is linked against the execution
engine and your optimization pass (ie., not using -load) and whatever
other things you need. I also suggest linking with LINK_COMPONENTS=all,
since that mysteriously seems to avoid all linker errors.

Otherwise, you may want to try tracking down which pass is being
registered multiple times, and work backwards to find out which file is
getting linked twice. I wouldn't approach this from the angle that
you're doing anything wrong. Rather, assume that LLVM's dependencies and
LINK_COMPONENTS system is buggy and try to figure out how and why.

Hope that helps.
Nick Lewycky