[LLVMdev] Growing up CMake

Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Fri Oct 24 15:41:54 PDT 2008

Argiris Kirtzidis <akyrtzi at gmail.com> writes:

> I gave it a try and unfortunately it doesn't seem practical to use
> CMake-produced VC++ projects. Every time you run CMake so that the VC++
> projects include new files, the entire solution gets rebuilt.

Forgot to mention that right now all executables depend on all libraries
(for the MSVC++ case, for the others llvm-config is used to determine
the dependencies). So if you modify one library, all executables will
need relinking. This is not too hard to fix, but creates some
maintenance work. Using the MSVC++ build on this state would be a major
pain for a LLVM developer but, as my knowledge goes, there are not much
of them (if any) using MSVC++. The VC++ cmake build system, as
implemented today, is oriented towards LLVM users who do not update
frequently (those using the official releases, for instance).

--
Oscar