[LLVMdev] Growing up CMake

Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Fri Oct 24 12:13:54 PDT 2008

"Daniel Dunbar" <daniel at zuster.org> writes:

> I think the reasons we would like to have CMake for clang are the same as
> for LLVM, manually maintaining the project files is a big pain and not done
> by that many developers.

So far, the only sound reason for extending CMake to the point of being
a replacement for configure && make is to lessen maintenance work. This
is achievable, but it will take time. Having some priorities, for
achieving a point where the CMake build is mature enough to be an option
for most users, and therefore being thoroughly tested, will speed up
things. I'm not specially excited about replicating random features,
warts and all.

> I don't have any experience with CMake but I did try it out and it seemed to
> work well, unfortunately I only have VS 2003 so I got blocked on C++ issues
> building with that compiler. However, the project file generation stuff
> worked fine -- thanks for your effort on it!

You are welcomed. But the build should work (*) on Linux too:

cmake -G "Unix Makefiles" -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/some/path path/to/llvm/root
make
make install

(*) Bug reports welcomed.

--