[LLVMdev] A question about using LLVM in an embedded system

Wei wei.hu.tw at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 05:46:52 PDT 2008

Dear all,

I would like to write a compiler on an embedded system to compile GLSL
shader source codes "at runtime" (That means when 3D programs running)
to produce GPU binary codes.
After surveying many solutions, I found that LLVM is a very impressive
project, and I consider to use it.

That means I have to write a GLSL frontend & a GPU backend for LLVM.
After reading LLVM documentations, I think that is not very hard to
accomplish it.

However, I found that LLVM takes about 15 MB disk space when it is
compiled in the Release mode. I don't count executables under
llvm-installation-folder/bin, and various backend libraries under
llvm-installation-folder/lib. I just count the LLVM target-independent
libraries only.

My question is "Are there any ways to reduce the disk space needed by LLVM?"
Ex:
if I don't need some optimization passes, can I use some preprocessor
macros to disable that pieces of codes?
If such preprocessor macros or other methods don't exist, are there
any guide lines or suggestions I can follow to reduce the disk space
usage?

Thank you all very much.

---
Wei Hu