[LLVMdev] Growing up CMake

Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Thu Oct 23 18:39:18 PDT 2008

Mike Stump <mrs at apple.com> writes:

> On Oct 23, 2008, at 5:04 PM, Óscar Fuentes wrote:
>> Now tblgen.exe builds fine with my CMake build system. Guess it is
>> the same case for the VC++ project files.
>
> Oh, does clang building work with CMake?  If not, wanna cons it
> up?   :-)  Thanks.

Giving a compelling reason why you'll like to build clang using CMake
instead of configure && make would help to speed up things :-)

Apart from me, I only know of one person that tried CMake, and it was by
accident.

Right now CMake works for me and does what I need. It achieved the
primary goal of being a replacement for the VC++ project files (it needs
to be described on the LLVM docs, but this will happen soon). I know
there are lots of things to be done for being a general replacement of
LLVM's build system, but if there is no feedback, this will progress
slowly.

Please note that I'm, mostly, a Windows guy with a very limited set of
requirements on LLVM (just the JIT) so I'm totally unaware of the
expectations most of you have.

I'm specially interested on why you dislike the current build system
(for not doing the same mistakes again), what you'll like to see
implemented (to improve on what we have) and what features are mandatory
for using the new system on a regular basis.

--
Oscar