[LLVMdev] Register class conversions

Villmow, Micah Micah.Villmow at amd.com
Wed Oct 22 13:28:22 PDT 2008

Is there a simple way to specify the relationship between two different
register classes of various sizes and alignments as being legal to
convert between them?

I have my backend written up using a single register class for i32, i64,
f32 and f64 types, however, because the type information is not
propagated down to the machine instruction register level, it is not
known to me how to determine which data type my current register is. In
working on moving to using 4 separate register classes I ran into the
problem where some of my setup code needs the larger type and not the
smaller type.

 So is it possible to have the register class I have setup for i32 type
be automatically converted to the generic register type instead of
aborting?

Micah Villmow

Systems Engineer

Advanced Technology & Performance