[LLVMdev] llvm profiling

Andrew Lenharth andrewl at lenharth.org
Thu Oct 16 11:04:45 PDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 11:57 AM, Jeff Yeong-Peng Hao <jeffhao at umich.edu> wrote:
> I'd like to get some runtime profile data on my code using LLVM.  The
> various -insert-X-profiling passes seem to add the profiling
> instrumentation to the code, but how do I actually generate profiling
> output?

No one has touched the profiling stuff for a few years (I think I was
the last one when I added the sampling infastructure).  The profiling
generated by these passes is intended to be consumed by llvm passes
and used in optimizations, it is not gprof compatible profiling.

As for running it, you need the profiling libraries you found in the
runtime directory and to link those in.  Beyond that, there is really
no profile data consumer in llvm (besides the block placement pass).

Andrew