[LLVMdev] LLVM 2.4 problem? (resend)

David Vandevoorde daveed at vandevoorde.com
Thu Oct 16 07:04:41 PDT 2008

On Oct 16, 2008, at 12:22 AM, Eli Friedman wrote:
[...]
>> The current consensus among CoreWG experts is that the words in the
> current standard (and those in the current WP) do not require distinct
> variables and temporaries to have distinct addresses per se.
>
> Then what's the alternative model?

That if two complete objects can never be distinguished by observing
their value, then they may be allocated at the same address.

Note that I don't think that model will have majority support when the
issue is discussed (that's just a guess).  However, the current words
don't seem to make it an invalid model, and there is some suspicion
that the changes for Core issue 73 that made it so were not entirely
accidental.

	Daveed