[LLVMdev] Testing frameworks

Kenneth Boyd zaimoni at zaimoni.com
Sun Oct 12 06:37:52 PDT 2008

Talin wrote:
> I've been using gtest (http://code.google.com/p/googletest/) for all of
> my frontend unit tests and I'm very happy with it. It does all of that
> automatic test discovery stuff pretty well. I haven't tried the XML test
> report generation stuff, but it does have that capability.

Ok.
> I don't know much about DejaGNU, and from what little I know about it,
> I'm not sure its worth my time to learn about it. Just reading the intro
> doc scares me, it feels like autoconf/automake or sendmail, i.e.
> something bolted together out of several different scripting systems.

Understood.  But it's the current test driver system.
> So, I guess my question would be, what requirements are being satisfied
> by DejaGNU that wouldn't be satisfied by a C++-based testing framework?

With the current system, the full details of how to run the test are
read from the test itself.  This includes whether the test should fail
or succeed (most of the current ones are expected to succeed, as most of
the failure cases are actually invariant violations)

Kenneth