[LLVMdev] windows testing etc

Kenneth Boyd zaimoni at zaimoni.com
Sun Oct 12 06:28:39 PDT 2008

Óscar Fuentes wrote:
> Chris Lattner <clattner at apple.com> writes:
>

>> On Oct 11, 2008, at 8:41 PM, OvermindDL1 wrote:
>>

>>> I am not sure how well the current tests could be ported though, they
>>> are very gcc-centric, as in compile with llvm-gcc and execute what
>>> llvm-gcc compiled, not very useful as an api test.  I have not really
>>> looked much into the current test setup once I noticed how useless it
>>> was for me, but is there a certain part of it that does not touch gcc
>>> type things, that literally just tests llvm directly without any
>>> middle stuff like llvm-gcc?  If so, I could probably work on getting
>>> that into a more unified framework...
>>>
>> Are you talking about the test-suite SVN module?  If so, I agree with
>> you.  It seems much more useful to start with the llvm/test
>> subdirectory of unit tests.  Those mostly don't depend on llvm-gcc and
>> the few ones that do should be moved elsewhere anyway.
>>

> How much value is on adding cross-platform support for the tests in
> llvm/test?  I've looked at them and the task seems achievable with not
> too much work.

For the *.ll tests, quite a bit.  It's not too much work up-front if you
hardcode the test sequence in the alternate test driver framework.
> Am I right suppossing that a non-zero return value for the "RUN:"
> command(s) means failure, and zero means success, and there is no more
> stuff than that to worry about for knowing the result?

In general there are two return codes of interest: the one from the
actual tool run (usually llvm-as), and the one from the final grep.  I'm
a bit shaky on how pipes behave, but I think that in a pipe sequence
only the last command's code is available.

For grep (MingW32), the return codes are:
"Exit status is 0 if match, 1 if no match, and 2 if trouble."

We can get away with eliding no-match vs trouble for grep, as presumably
a release version would never report trouble when properly invoked.

Kenneth