[LLVMdev] C++ to C?

P. Durante shackan at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 15:05:53 PDT 2008

On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 10:28 PM, Michael McDonnell
<michaeldmcdonnell at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> You mentioned that "the current interpreter makes no pretense of running on
> a "virtual machine"", but isn't the interpreter itself a virtual machine?
> I'm not looking to emulate any particular processor - just interested in a
> tool that will help teach how a processor works.
>
> Can LLVM help, or am I completely off track?
>
> Thanks,
> M. McDonnell

I think LLVM is way overkill for what you need (which I assume to be
some sort of introductory course in computer architecture), "The
Elements of Computing Systems" [1] and the accompanying software [2]
would probably be great teaching material instead, I haven't really
used them but I've watched a short video lecture about it [3], and it
looks quite well done

[1] http://www1.idc.ac.il/tecs/
[2] http://www1.idc.ac.il/tecs/software.html
[3] http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7654043762021156507