[LLVMdev] 2.4 Pre-release (v1) Available for Testing

OvermindDL1 overminddl1 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 13:18:10 PDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 2:11 PM, Tanya M. Lattner <tonic at nondot.org> wrote:

> LLVMers,
>
> The 2.4 pre-release is available for testing:
> http://llvm.org/prereleases/2.4/
>
> If you have time, I'd appreciate anyone who can help test the release.
> Please do the following:
>
> 1) Download/compile llvm source, and either compile llvm-gcc source or use
>    llvm-gcc binary.
> 2) Run make check, send me the testrun.log
> 3) Run "make TEST=nightly report" and send me the report.nightly.txt
> 4) Please provide details on what platform you compiled LLVM on and how
>    you built LLMV (src == obj, or src != obj)
Downloaded the 2.4pr source code.
Compiling on Windows XP SP2 using Visual Studio 2005/VC8 with current patches.

Initial notice while it is compiling, lots of warning that look valid, such as:
1) "The POSIX name for this item is deprecated. Instead, use the ISO
C++ conformant name: someFuncName"
2) "...not all control paths return a value"
3) "type name first seen using 'class' now seen using 'struct'"
4) Lots of conversion/truncation warning, this one does not need to be
a big focus, but explicit conversion/truncations would silence these
and make the compiler happy.
5) "destructor could not be generated because a base class destructor
is inaccessible"
6) " check operator precedence for possible error; use parentheses to
clarify precedence"
7) "switch statement contains 'default' but no 'case' labels"
8) etc...
9) And of course a few VC++ specific ones that can be ignored, but the
above are valid.

The full build log is at:
http://overminddl1.com/stuff/llvm/First_Full_Build.txt
On this first compile everything compiled except for llc and lli,
which did not link due to:
 unresolved external symbol "class llvm::FunctionPass * __cdecl
llvm::createPBQPRegisterAllocator(void)"

I told it to compile again (hopefully just missed a link due to a bad
project build order I hope, from looking at it though that does not
appear to be the case, it looks like that symbol is not externally
visible...).
Second attempt to link the llc and lli projects again also failed,
some error, looks like that symbol needs to be fixed.

Other then the one link error due to the missing external symbol, the
windows build seems to build.  Fibonacci also works fine (tested both
the debug and release builds with numbers from 1 to 45 each, I assume
the results are the correct numbers, did not check, it all looked fine
though).  Lots of warnings, most of which look like they can be safely
ignored, a few should be handled.  Are there any Windows tests you
want run?

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 2:11 PM, Tanya M. Lattner <tonic at nondot.org> wrote:
> Please COMPLETE ALL TESTING BY the end of the day on Oct. 19th!
Speaking of, we really need a test suite to test llvm itself, and not
llvm-gcc (to make sure llvm is correct on platforms without a gcc
build system).  The closest we have is the Fibinocci project and that
is anything but conclusive.