[LLVMdev] Getting target machine specific information at run-time

Roman Levenstein romixlev at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 7 04:57:21 PDT 2008

Hi,

I'm playing with some experimental register allocators for LLVM. One of them needs to build a so-called register
class tree for representing the aliasing information among register classes.
This tree is not function or module specific. It is actually target specific, because it depends only
on the register classes defined for a machine that is used as a target of the current compilation.

I'd like to be able to compute this information only once during the run-time, e.g. when target machine information is being created.
But I couldn't find out how it can be done. Then I thought that it should be possible to do it in the doInitialization() function of my MachineFunctionPass.
Then it would be done once per LLVM module, which is still acceptable. I almost implemented this solution, but I have problems accessing
the architecture dependent bits of the Module, i.e. TargetMachine objects specific for the current architecture, as selected by the --march option of the compiler.
I tried using the getClosestTargetForJIT and getClosestStaticTargetForModule functions of the TargetMachineRegistry class.
But all that was without success. I always get back only X86-based targets (which is the target architecture of my development machine)
even though I explicitly select another target for cross-compilation by doing --march=sparc or --march=alpha.

Could someone explain, what is a correct way to:
1) obtain a TargetMachine object related to the target selected using --march option?
2) compute some target specific data once per compilation/per module and use it in the machine pass(es)?
    Is putting this computation into the doInitialization() function a proper approach?

Thanks,
  Roman