[LLVMdev] mem2reg optimization

Nicolas Capens nicolas at capens.net
Mon Oct 6 22:32:09 PDT 2008

Hi Dan,

I don't want to beat a dead horse here, but why would anyone want to use
mem2reg after LICM or other passes that can move around loads and stores? I
fully understand the design goal to arbitrarily reorder other passes but for
mem2reg it actually seems vital to run it as the first pass to make all
other passes useful.

Anyway, this can definitely also be done with an analysis pass that provides
information about ordering between loads and stores. It's just ironic that
this information is already available in the use lists if you run mem2reg as
the first pass...

Cheers,

Nicolas