[LLVMdev] Type Legalizer Question.

Duncan Sands baldrick at free.fr
Wed Oct 1 02:12:14 PDT 2008

Hi,

> I have another query related to type legalizer.
> Can a target ignore certain nodes during legalize? Probably a hook for
> target that can be called inside IgnoreNodeResults ()?

while this could be done, I don't like the idea of doing an end-run
around the whole type legalization infrastructure.  So you would have
to come up with a pretty convincing argument as to why this can't be
done another way!

> We want to keep certain nodes illegal, especially the pointer nodes.
> Our target has 16-bit pointer and a few 16-bit insns to perform
> arithmetic.
> Rest of the stuff is 8-bit so we want to use legalizer to expand them.

I think x86-32 is capable of doing a small number of 64 bit operations.
I wonder how they are handled/generated given that i64 is not a legal type?

Ciao,

Duncan.