[LLVMdev] how to track down a kernel miscompilation?

John Regehr regehr at cs.utah.edu
Mon Nov 24 09:39:48 PST 2008

Hey that is great to hear that the volatile stuff is helping someone.

Just broadly speaking do you know if the instcombine bug involves pointer
code vs. scalar?  I ask because intensive random testing has not found the
bug that you are seeing.  That says that either (1) the bug lies in a part
of the program space we don't explore or (2) it does, but we haven't run
the tests for long enough.  The former sounds most likely to me.  If I
knew more about what kind of code evoked the problem we could give high
priority to adding the appropriate extensions to our testcase generator.

John