[LLVMdev] Does current LLVM target-independent code generator supports my strange chip?

Daniel M Gessel gessel at apple.com
Mon Nov 24 08:16:22 PST 2008

Let me clarify - I haven't used LLVM for GLSL - I'm also relatively
new to LLVM targeting a modern GPU. My GLSL work was back in the
timeframe of AMD's R300/R400 series, which was 4 years ago.

On Nov 24, 2008, at 10:25 AM, Wei wrote:

>> The machines I worked with didn't support any integer ops, but GLSL
>> let us get by with "emulated" 16 bit integers (storing and operating
>> on them as floating point; divides required truncation after the op -
>> that sort of thing).
>
> Although my platform indeed supports integer operations, however, it
> only supports integer +,-,*, not /. The document says if I need to do
> integer division, I have to convert them to floating point first.
> Hence, I have similar problems.
>
> So...
> Does your method means you write some codes in your 'frontend' to emit
> LLVM IR to convert the integer to floating point first, then perform
> the operations, and then convert the result back to integer?
> Or you write such codes in your 'backend'?
>
> No matter what your answer is, I think the 'frontend' approach is more
> cleaner than the 'backend' approach (The 'backend' approach is more
> like a hack?). Am I right? Or writing such mechanism in backend has
> other advantages?

IMHO I don't think of the backend approach as a hack:

Minimizing the dependencies of the frontend on the target is generally
a good thing, assuming you'll possibly be targeting different HW in
the future.

The backend approach means that integer division is a fairly long code
sequence: that's just fine within LLVM.

>> What I mean is that you can probably get away with LLVM working with
>> float literals as f32, then converting them to your 24 bit format
>> during code gen.
>
> I think I got you here.
>
>> Integers too: let LLVM work with i32 internally, and convert literals
>> during code gen.
>
> Huh.. I think I got you here, too.
> But I probably don't know how you handle integer constants larger than
> 24-bit.
> For example, if I sees the following instructions during code gen:
>
> int %a, add int %b, int 0x12345678
>
> Do I have to emit machine instructions similar to the following?
>
> int %a, add int %b, int 0x5678
> int %c, add int %d, int 0x1234
> int %e, add int %c, 1 <--- depends on the result of the first addition
>
> However, this means the backend has to remember the register %a now
> stores low bytes of the result, and the register %c stores the high
> bytes of the result. This tracking is not an easy job, I think.

Unextended GLSL doesn't require support for integers larger than 16
bits.

>> I assume you'll be starting with the reference GLSL parser (from
>> 3DLabs, IIRC - I don't even know if they stil exist, actually)
>
> You can find the 3Dlabs frontend here:
> http://l4.me.uk/static/glsl/
>
> And I don't think anyone has ported this frontend onto LLVM before.
>
>> The issue would be that LLVM would want to store register values as
>> 32
>> bits - and do all the pointer math that way.
>
> I don't really get you here.
> Why LLVM do all the pointer math in 32-bit just because I store
> register values as 32-bit?

What I mean is that LLVM would think of your registers as taking 4
bytes in memory, and do all the pointer math that way: multiplying
array indexes by 4. This may be fine on your machine, but it seems
plausible that you would want 3 byte alignment, and, in that case, you
would have to patch things up.

>> I haven't had to work with register constraints in LLVM, so I'm not
>> sure what would be best approach if I/O is done through specific
>> GPRs:
>> you don't want to reserve those registers for I/O only.... it would
>> take some exploration.
>
> unfortunately~! my platform indeed uses GPRs to do the input/output.
> My current thought is to compute the amount of used attributes/
> varyings in a shader, and reserve same amount GPRs for those
> attributes/varyings ONLY. Because I think if I have NO memory can
> spill registers out, there is no much space for the register
> allocation. The method I might use is to INLINE all functions, and
> perform the register allocation. This strategy is bad, or course, or
> do you think of some other better solution?

This sounds like a good bringup approach to get you started, both I/O
and inlining all functions.

I've been learning LLVM as I go - my suspicion is that LLVM can do
better on the I/O question with the right register information - as
you learn more, some creative approach will present itself.

Similarly for inlining - calls and returns can be custom handled -
maybe there's a way to tie this in to a customized register
allocator... As long as your shaders aren't busting out of your
instruction limits (or instruction cache size, depending on the HW),
inlining is a good thing.

In addition to GLSL, Khronos' recently announced OpenCL which also
disallows recursion in part because stack operations are still very
slow on GPUs (small dependent load/stores aren't great for the huge
pipeline). A random non-expert thought: maybe there's some general
approach to non-stack based function calling that could be implemented
with a global register allocator and an analysis of the call tree?

Dan