[LLVMdev] Problem in CodeExtractor::severSplitPHINodes()

Devang Patel dpatel at apple.com
Wed Nov 19 16:41:24 PST 2008

On Nov 19, 2008, at 7:41 AM, Jack Tzu-Han Hung wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I found a problem in CodeExtractor::severSplitPHINodes()
> <CodeExtractor.cpp>.
>
> The algorithm first separates the header block into two, one
> containing only PHI nodes and the other containing the remaining non-
> PHI nodes. The variable NewBB holds the pointer to the latter half
> block. Later, it tries to update DT information.
>
> if (DT)
>     DT->splitBlock(NewBB);
>
> In splitBlock, it checks if the NewBB has only one successor. I'm
> not sure why this is required, but it will fail on cases where NewBB
> has multiple successors, which are pretty common. For example, a
> switch or a conditional branch in NewBB can break this check.

DT->splitBlock() updates dominator information _after_ the block is
split. The comments in header says,

   /// splitBlock - BB is split and now it has one successor. Update
dominance
   /// frontier to reflect this change.
   void splitBlock(BasicBlock *BB);

Immediately after the split the NewBB can have only one successor.

> Could anyone tell me how to fix this please?
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Jack

-
Devang