[LLVMdev] Practical --enable-shared LLVM builds.

Cyrille Berger cberger at cberger.net
Thu Nov 13 15:13:10 PST 2008

On Wednesday 12 November 2008, Óscar Fuentes wrote:
>    Thinking as a LLVM user, are shared libraries interesting to you? If
>    the answer is yes, is the one-big-dll mentioned above useful to you?
I see one advantage, currently if two libraries use llvm and are linked
together in one program, then it asserts at starting since the two libraries
will initialize some of the basic llvm types at start up (or at least I had
the issue a couple of monthes ago) which was easily solved in my case in
making sure that llvm stuff was only linked in a common library.

As for loading time, I guess it's a big problem for llvm's tools (such as
llvm-gcc), since it is usual to call them a lot while compiling.

--
Cyrille Berger