[LLVMdev] Practical --enable-shared LLVM builds.

Scott Graham scott.llvm at h4ck3r.net
Wed Nov 12 17:24:24 PST 2008

Hi

I'm not sure that it meets your needs, but in making C# bindings[1], I
had to build the one-big-dll with only public stuff exported. I did
this by processing the llvm-c headers into a linker script (so the
llvm-c interface is the determiner of what's visible, rather than
requiring decoration in the source code).

The llvm-c interface mostly only covers front end IR building, not
code-gen or opt passes, but it might give you an idea of the ratio of
public/internal anyway.

So, in the "LLVM user" category, yes, I'm interested in the
one-big-dll, though I'd probably only use the C-interface, not the C++
parts. I'm not sure how practical it is to use exporting C++ features
across DLL boundaries and trying to upgrade LLVM and your compiler
separately, as small changes would affect name mangling. You'd be
requiring quite a large scale "freeze" on a lot of LLVM changes for
that to work, I think.

I'd also be interested in working on getting at the equivalent
functionality of `llc' and `opt' via the llvm-c interface too, if you
think that might be the way to go.

scott

[1] To be contributed once I'm finally upgraded to somewhere near
HEAD, if anyone's interested in them