[LLVMdev] Validating LLVM

John Regehr regehr at cs.utah.edu
Tue Nov 11 11:55:36 PST 2008

> to a testsuite, we can use them for validation.  But I wouldn't want to
> require a validation to pass some set of random tests that shifts each test
> cycle.

This is easy to fix: just specify a starting seed for the PRNG.

However I think you should get past your prejudice against tests that
shift each cycle, since changing tests have the advantage of increased
test coverage.  Different parts of a test suite have different purposes,
and of course random programs would not replace any part of the existing
collection of fixed test cases.  I woudn't be making this argument if I
hadn't seen for myself how one week random testing gives you nothing, the
next week a whole pile of previously unknown failures.

Alternatively we are working to generalize our program generator a bit so
that it does a DFS or BFS to generate all programs smaller than some size
bound (obviously we need to fudge on integer constants, for example by
picking from a predetermined set of interesting constants).  Once we do
this it may be worth adding the resulting test programs to LLVM's test
suite.

John Regehr