[LLVMdev] Custom lowering binary operations on one register machines.

sanjiv gupta sanjiv.gupta at microchip.com
Mon Nov 10 09:51:32 PST 2008

Ours is an accumulator based architecture.

So one operand of ADD/SUB operations is in REG (accumulator) and the
other one is in Memory. The result can be left either in REG or memory.

The LLVM DAG for such operations expect both operands in REG.

for example:
char a, b, c, d, e;
a = (b - c) + (d - e);

generates

addc:i8 (subc:i8(b,c), subc:i8(d,e))

Looks like we need to custom lower addc here.  LegalizeOp needs
modification to allow custom lowering of ADDC, etc.I will post a patch
to do the same.

Any suggestions on how do we custom lower such things?
is using MFI::CreateFixedObject () to generate a FI and then using that
FI to Store one REG operand to memory and then generate a Load from that
FI is a good idea?

sth like

store (subc:i8(d, e), FI)
addc:i8(subc:i8(b,c) - load (FI))