[LLVMdev] Inserting comments

Scott Graham scott.llvm at h4ck3r.net
Tue Nov 4 00:57:36 PST 2008

Hi

Anyone have any clever way of inserting a comment (or
comment-ish-thing) that will make it to an .ll that's generated at the
same time as writing out the bitcode?

I'd been hacking comments in using an alloca with the name of the
value being the comment, but just realized that they weren't getting
removed at the codegen level despite being unused (no opt), when I got
a stack overflow due to having them in a loop.

I tried a no-op bitcast, but that gets removed too early, and doesn't
make to the .ll. I don't especially care if they disappear after
running passes, just that they survive long enough to see them in a
dump(), and that they don't affect the program behaviour.

thanks,
scott