[LLVMdev] Available code-generation parallism

heisenbug ggreif at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 15:55:12 PST 2008

On 3 Nov., 10:06, Chris Lattner <clatt... at apple.com> wrote:
> On Nov 2, 2008, at 2:20 PM, Jonathan Brandmeyer wrote:
>
> > I am interested in making my LLVM front-end multi-threaded in a way
> > similar to the GCC compiler server proposal and was wondering about
> > the
> > extent that the LLVM passes support it.
>
> Do you have a link for this?  I'm not familiar with any parallelism
> proposed by that project.  My understanding was that it was mostly
> about sharing across invocations of the compiler.
>
> > Expression-at-a-time parallel construction:
> > If function definitions are built purely depth-first, such that the
> > parent pointers are not provided as they are created, what will break?
> > I noted that the function and module verifiers aren't complaining, at
> > least not yet.  Is there a generic "fixup upward-pointing parent
> > pointers" pass that can be run afterwords?  If not, do I need to
> > implement and perform that pass?  I suspect that emitting code for
> > individual expressions in parallel will probably end up being too
> > fine-grained, which leads me to...
>
> Are you talking about building your AST or about building LLVM IR.
> The rules for constructing your AST are pretty much defined by you.
> The rules for constructing LLVM IR are a bit more tricky.  The most
> significant issue right now is that certain objects in LLVM IR are
> uniqued (like constants) and these have use/def chains.  Since use/def
> chain updating is not atomic or locked, this means that you can't
> create llvm ir on multiple threads.  This is something that I'm very
> much interested in solving someday, but no one is working on it at
> this time (that I'm aware of).

What about "inventing" pseudo-constants (which point to the right
thing) and build the piece of IR with them. When done, grab mutex and
RAUW it in. Alternatively, submit to a privileged thread that performs
the RAUW.
The trick is to prepare the def/use chain(s) to a degree that the
mutex is only held a minimal time. If only IR-builder threads are
running concurrently there is no danger that a real constant vanishes,
leaving behind a stale reference from a pseudo-constant.

Any major headaches I have ignored?

Cheers,

   Gabor