[LLVMdev] Strange behaviour with profile data loading

madiyaan ahmadsharif at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 1 21:51:06 PDT 2008

Hello:

I am following the example code in BasicBlockPlacement.cpp. That
transformation relies on basic block execution frequencies that have been
read from a profile file. This is how it loads the profile data:

1. In getAnalysisUsage, it calls addRequired<ProfileInfo>(), and
2. In the runOnFunction, it calls getAnalysis<ProfileInfo>() which returns a
ProfileInfo object pointer.

This works and it can read in the correct profile data.

What I want to do is have a profile-guided pass which works at the
MachineFunction level. I did the same thing, i.e.

1. In my getAnalysisUsage function, I call addRequired<ProfileInfo>(), and
2. In the runOnFunction, I call getAnalysis<ProfileInfo>() which returns me
a ProjectInfo object pointer.

However, when I use the ProfileInfo object pointer returned to me, every
BasicBlock's execution count is 0. Notice that I pass in the BasicBlock*,
and not the MachineBasicBlock* (which is what BasicBlockPlacement.cpp does
as well).

How can it be that when BasicBlockPlacement.cpp obtains the ProfileInfo*, it
has the correct execution and edge frequencies while when I call it from a
MachineFunction pass it has all 0s for the frequencies? I debugged it a bit,
and the getAnalysis<ProfileInfo>() function in both cases returns different
pointers.

Any idea how I can read profile information from a MachineFunction pass?

Thanks,