[LLVMdev] Odd problem with command line options

Jay Foad jay.foad at antixlabs.com
Fri May 30 04:50:46 PDT 2008

> I'm linking a program (my ellsif driver) that basically brings in most
> of the LLVM stuff: bitcode reading, optimizations, linking, and target
> code generation.
>
> All of a sudden, I'm getting the following when I run:
> [~/elsa/ellsif] dev% ./ellsif -v test/ofmt.i test/sieve.i -time-actions
> -O5
> <premain>: CommandLine Error: Argument 'machine-licm' defined more than
once!
> ellsif: CommandLine Error: Argument 'machine-licm' defined more than once!

I recently had a similar problem when I wrote a new pass and built it into
opt. This error message is confusing because the code that prints it, in
GetOptionInfo() in lib/Support/CommandLine.cpp:

        cerr << ProgramName << ": CommandLine Error: Argument '"
             << OptionNames[0] << "' defined more than once!\n";

should be printing OptionNames[i], not OptionNames[0].

(Once I had fixed this, it was easy to see what I had done wrong in the pass
I wrote.)

Jay.