[LLVMdev] DejaGnu test-suite coverage

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Tue May 27 20:47:49 PDT 2008

On May 26, 2008, at 9:05 PM, Chandler Carruth wrote:

> Hello,
>
> After a fun discussion regarding unit testing and coverage metrics,
> it came up that we don't have coverage analysis for LLVM proper.
> With a certain amount of experience in this arena, I set about
> building a nice overview. I don't have the toolset and commands
> fully integrated into the build system, and I'm not sure if doing so
> would be appropriate (its a somewhat fragile and annoying process,
> and would interfere with normal development/testing cycles), but I
> have a snapshot of the coverage posted online here:
>
> http://chandlerc.net/llvm-coverage/
>
> Please feel free to dig around, ask questions, etc. Also, I can very
> quickly re-calculate coverage if people would like to push up tests.
> I'll be happy to regenerate the coverage on request, it only takes
> an hour or so, and isn't a lot of actual work.

This is pretty spiffy.  I'm (pleasantly) surprised we have 81.8%
coverage for instcombine.  It would be a specific case where it would
be good to add regtests to try to get to 100%, given how tricky the
code is.  It would also be nice if your scripts covered autogenerated
code like the tblgen produced files in the backend.

-Chris