[LLVMdev] Float compare-for-equality and select optimizationopportunity

Marc B. Reynolds marc.reynolds at orange.fr
Tue May 27 05:06:48 PDT 2008

Both ZF and PF will be set if unordered, so the code below is IEEE
correct...you want to generate 'fcmp ueq' instead of 'fcmp oqe'

This is the resulting x86 assembly code:

movss       xmm0,dword ptr [ecx+4]

ucomiss     xmm0,dword ptr [ecx+8]

sete        al

setnp       dl

test        dl,al

mov         edx,edi

cmovne      edx,ecx

cmovne      ecx,esi

cmovne      esi,edi

While I'm pleasantly surprised that my branch does get turned into several
select operations as intended (cmov - conditional move - in x86), I'm
confused why it uses the ucomiss instruction (unordered compare and set
flags). I only used IRBuilder::CreateFCmpOEQ. It also appears to invert the
conditional, for no clear reason. I think it could be rewritten as follows:

movss       xmm0,dword ptr [ecx+4]

comiss      xmm0,dword ptr [ecx+8]

mov         edx,edi

cmove       edx,ecx

cmove       ecx,esi

cmove       esi,edi

Compared to the original C syntax code this looks pretty straightforward.
Curiously, when I replace the compare-for-equality with something like a
less-than, it does generate such compact code (using comiss and cmova). And
the not-equal case looks like this:

movss       xmm0,dword ptr [ecx+4]

ucomiss     xmm0,dword ptr [ecx+8]

mov         esi,ecx

cmove       esi,edx

cmovne      ecx,eax

cmove       edx,eax

So this generates compact code but with an unordered compare.

Anyway, it looks like the compare-for-equality case in particular is missing
an optimization opportunity. It's no big deal to me but I thought someone
here might be interested.

Cheers,

Nicolas Capens