[LLVMdev] DejaGnu test-suite coverage

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at gmail.com
Mon May 26 23:55:10 PDT 2008

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 11:27 PM, Gabor Greif <gabor at mac.com> wrote:

> Heh,
>
> my ex-boss would die seeing something like this :-)

It's not too hard to produce, let me know if you want details, or ping me on
IRC.

> Just one comment, does GCOV have a flag for
> a third category of lines, like "undesired to execute"?

Nope. I'm a subscriber to the theory that everything should be executed,
right down to assertions, and compile assertions. ;] Not always possible,
but that is usually my ideal goal in testing. The key is to always check
that the result of that execution is correct, so trigger assertions, and
catch them, etc.

> This would make the summary of
> <http://chandlerc.net/llvm-coverage/lib/Target/PowerPC/
> PPCHazardRecognizers.cpp.gcov.html>
> much more favorable.

I'm not seeing the bad aspect of this particular file? It has pretty good
coverage, is code calling into this "bad"? If so, then assertions, or
logging or something might be more appropriate. Coverage just says that it
got used, not that its use was "correct". ;]

-Chandler