[LLVMdev] Using the test suite to benchmark patches

Mike Stump mrs at apple.com
Wed May 21 13:01:59 PDT 2008

On May 21, 2008, at 8:09 AM, Matthijs Kooijman wrote:
> Any thoughts or suggestions on how to do this testing in a
> structured manner?

I think that if what you're doing is sound, and you get the results
you want, say, on compiling something like gcc with it and others
review the basic idea (hi evan or chris) and like it, just checking it
in and watching the performance numbers for the next day seems
reasonable to me.  You can always revert the patch if there are
unexpected downsides that make it not worth while.

If you can run something larger like spec, that'd also help.