[LLVMdev] Using the test suite to benchmark patches

Matthijs Kooijman matthijs at stdin.nl
Wed May 21 08:09:51 PDT 2008

Hi,

just a quick email. I've been working on a patch to simplifycfg last week and
want to test its performance. I've ran the test-suite succesfully, both with
the patched and unpatched versions. However, I could find no easy way to
compare both results. I see that the web pages of the nightly tester provide
nice results (changes compared to the day before, together with percentages
and colors etc). Something like that should be supported for two local test
runs as well, but I couldn't find how.

I did a bit of hacking on the HTMLColDiff.pl script that I found lying around,
the (rough) patch is attached. Is this script a quick hackup that got
forgotten, or is it still used by people for a purpose that I don't see right
now?

Any thoughts or suggestions on how to do this testing in a structured manner?
In particular, it would be useful to have some means of running a test a few
times and taking mean values for comparison or something...

Gr.

Matthijs