[LLVMdev] LLVM on small MCUs?

Pertti Kellomäki pertti.kellomaki at tut.fi
Mon May 19 10:40:33 PDT 2008

John Regehr wrote:
> I ask since gcc is causing significant pain for one of my students.  He
> could switch over to LLVM but only after writing a backend for AVR (8-bit
> RISC).

An AVR backend would be very cool. AVR is way more compiler
friendly than PIC, so it should not be all that difficult
either.

The only hitch is that in the MCU world people expect to be
able to write interrupt handlers and the like in C, so one
needs to invent a way to express them in LLVM. Inventive
use of #define and some asm may be all that is needed, though.
--
Pertti