[LLVMdev] cmake build system was "Re: VS build is broken again"

ST st at iss.tu-darmstadt.de
Mon May 19 08:19:32 PDT 2008

Hi
> For what it's worth, I think that using a system like cmake, while
> lessening the load of the LLVM developers, increases the load on users of
> LLVM.
Well if it is easy to use, i don't think that is a problem? Besides is
extendig llvm also an "use case" in this sense?

> In my opinion the best solution is if the software comes with project
> files/makefiles that are 'native' to the platform you're building on and
> doesn't require any extra software to be installed before you can build.
> I've had good results with using scripts to keep .vcproj files updated in
> order to synchronize project files between different versions of Visual
> Studio. The same method should be applicable to synchronizing with
> makefiles and XCode project files. If anything more complicated than
> adding/removing files need to be done, it can be done by hand - but that's
> pretty rare anyway.
You are only talking only about specific development environments. I think
this is more problematic than a tool like cmake which can be used on every
plattform? Besides of that the scripting engine which does these
modifications needs also to be installed. So in the end it boils down to
personal preference which script language you have installed per default.

ST