[LLVMdev] Troubling promotion of return value to Integer ...

Alireza.Moshtaghi at microchip.com Alireza.Moshtaghi at microchip.com
Wed May 14 10:43:03 PDT 2008

In this thread I'm trying to merge two email threads into one, because
both discuss the same problem that's troubling us and I would like to
reach a conclusion on what would be the best approach.

To minimize the size of this thread I only mention the subject of the
other two threads:

(1)    [LLVMdev] Integer promotion of return node operand
(initiated by Sachin)

(2)    [LLVMdev] trouble with 32-bit promotion of return value
(initiated by myself)

To summarize:

Evan has replied to thread (1) and suggested to add a calling convention
and check for it in visitRet

Dan replied to thread (2) and suggested to add a new field to the
TargetLowering class, and then let each target specify the minimum
integer type to promote return types to

Either way, I think we all agree that the root of the problem is the
FIXME in SelectionDAGLowering::visitRet()

But what is the preferred method?

Thanks

Ali