[LLVMdev] GPL licensing issues or can GCC be used with llvm for a commercial application?

Jonathan S. Shapiro shap at eros-os.com
Wed May 14 02:54:48 PDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-13 at 23:36 -0700, Chris Lattner wrote:
> I don't want to discourage you, but you are basically asking for
> interpretation of legal documents...
> If you really really need to know the answer to questions like these,
> the best bet is to hire legal council.

Chris is right. I would add that it sounds like you are already getting
nonsense responses.

However, when you look for a lawyer, look for one who has dealt with GPL
before. It is a very different type of license than most, and the
majority of IP lawyers today remain unfamiliar with it. Further, a
lawyer's training is to maximize the interests of their clients, not the
interests of a community. This can lead to misunderstandings.

We experienced all of these issues at IBM when I was there.

shap