[LLVMdev] GPL licensing issues or can GCC be used with llvm for a commercial application?

Anton Korobeynikov asl at math.spbu.ru
Wed May 14 00:27:11 PDT 2008

Hello, Razvan

> after that I use only the Windows interface to it (like any other
> proprietary Windows software does) , GPL forbids me to do that.
That's due to nature of the interface. Binary interface to codec make
the proprietary application 'derived work'.

> - I didn't find any commercial projects (not Operating Systems or
> dual-licensed but simple applications) which package GPL applications
with
> proprietary ones. If you know such applications, please let me know so
I can
> check their license.
Owen have given bunch of them. I'll just repeat: Apple's XCode IDE + gcc
+ gdb. Also - it uses gas and bunch of stuff from binutils, but
proprietary linker.

> if the link phase will be done ok (especially if the linker is able to
> remove the unused segments or setup the correct segments attributes).
That's linker job.

> my point of view, the necessity of an I86 native target who address a
> BSD-like licensed assembler, strongly remains.
I'd suggest consult a good lawyer instead, without even trying to
interpret anything by yourself.

--
WBR, Anton Korobeynikov