[LLVMdev] Preferring to use GCC instead of LLVM

Mikael Lepistö mikael.lepisto at tut.fi
Tue May 13 06:05:23 PDT 2008

> Owen Anderson wrote:
>> There's nothing particularly stopping you from having your
>> installation package include copies of gas and ld,
>
> I disagree.  gas and ld are not available on Windoze, except
> via MinGW.  Yes I can make or tell my customers to install
> MinGW, but if MinGW is installed, then I don't need LLVM.
> (More about this further ahead)

Hi, I while omitting all the other aspects of the discussion,
could the following is suitable solution for your problem...

Use llvm as compiler and in the point when llvm toolchain need
the assembler and linker, you can provide MinGW ports of as and
ld _with_ mingw runtime library to "complete" llvm distribution.

If I read correctly license of MinGW runtime library says that
you can distribute e.g. mingw10.dll with your proprietary software
with few conditions.

That dll file should be enough for running MinGW assembler and
linker commands. So separate MinGW installation for each client
machine is not needed.

- Mikael