[LLVMdev] LLVM as a DLL

Bill Wendling isanbard at gmail.com
Tue May 13 01:21:59 PDT 2008

*Feeds the troll*

On May 13, 2008, at 12:34 AM, kr512 wrote:
>> You feel the need to keep repeating that LLVM is not a
>> COMPLETE backend.
>
> A number of people did not understand my original message so
> it was necessary to provide more information.  Also, some
> people asked me questions.  You don't expect me to ignore
> their questions, do you?

Oh! Good one. Passive-aggressively put the blame on someone else for
your repetitious nonsense.

> Jon Harrop, for example, asked an
> important question that I needed to reply to.
>
>> Fine, thats your opinion based upon your definition of a
>> complete backend.
>
> It is an indisputable and agreed FACT that LLVM alone by
> itself is incapable of generating a ready-to-execute .EXE or
> .DLL file.

The same is true for GCC, which you held up as a "compete" backend in
your original post.

>> Point made. Please move on.
>
> Oh come on, it is not like I have been harping about this
> for weeks.  My first message to this mailing list was only
> *3* days ago!  And the total number of messages I have ever
> sent to this mailing list is what, 4 or 5 messages?  Whereas
> I am sure there are people here who have posted hundreds of
> messages.

Those "hundreds of messages" (not in this thread) have had actual
useful content.

>> LLVM is an open source project. You can not expect people
>> who work on it in their free time to magically do all the
>> work that you require to make your customers happy.  You
>> have to do your part too.
>
> I already started doing my part.  The first step in doing my
> part is discussing the issues with the people here, and
> trying to understand their points, and trying to help them
> understand my points.

"Trolling" != "Discussing the issues"

> To just blindly jump in and start writing code for LLVM
> without having a discussion/debate here first, that would be
> crazy.  And it has only been *3* days since I joined this
> mailing list -- can't you give me a few more days to learn
> this environment before expecting contributions from me?

Are you that new to the Internet?!

Typically, people start out by AT LEAST TRYING TO COMPILE LLVM instead
of jumping right in with some perceived problem. If you had actually
COMPILED LLVM ONCE in one of the suggested ways, you will find that
all of the libraries you want are GENERATED FOR YOU!

> And can't you give other people on this mailing list, busy
> people who may not be able to respond immediately, a few
> more days to read and reply to my message, so they can add
> their valuable insight to the discussion?

Nothing is stopping them.

> I was not expecting people to do free work for me, rather I
> was merely providing feedback that I hope will be
> useful/helpful to people here, for the purpose of making
> LLVM better and more successful.

Providing feedback from a position of ignorance is never useful.

-bw