[LLVMdev] GSoC Proposal: Language bindings via. SWIG

Eric Jonas jonas at MIT.EDU
Fri Mar 28 19:03:52 PDT 2008

To anyone on #llvm I'm sure I'm starting to sound like a broken record,
but I'd just like to point out that for python bindings at least, you
can quite easily manipulate the LLVM infrastructure via ctypes as a
shared object / dll -- no C required! Those of us interested in talking
to LLVM from Lisps, either Common Lisp (via CFFI) or a scheme like
PLT/Mzscheme, can also use the shared library interface. In fact, for
the Common Lisp case, this is the _only portable_ (cross-implementation)
way of talking to LLVM.

If anyone's interested in

Here is a one-off example of python using the shared library approach
and Gordon's excellent C interface (llvm-c):

http://pastebin.com/m5197c5e7

(the verbosity at the beginning is because of some linkage issues with
the llvm SOs)
		...Eric