[LLVMdev] GSoC Proposal: Language bindings via. SWIG

Søren Bøg sbg at froztek.com
Fri Mar 28 15:55:04 PDT 2008

Hi,

I've been lurking around the LLVM project for a couple of months now.
The two recent threads about python bindings for LLVM ([1] and [2]),
combined with the fact that I am looking for at GSoC project at the
moment. Lead to the idea of making the "public" parts of LLVM
SWIG[3]-friendly and basing a set of python bindings on this.

My reasoning for doing it this way, is that it allows reuse of the SWIG
annotation for bindings to other languages such as Perl and Java among
others.

What I would like to do for the GSoC is:
1) Annotate the necessary parts of LLVM for processing by SWIG.
2) Use SWIG to generate a python wrapper around LLVM
3) Add a (hopefully) thin layer of python code to complete the bindings.

Before submitting an application for this project. I would like to know
if there is an interest in this, within the LLVM project, and possibly
if this is already being worked on.

Regards,
  Søren Bøg

[1] http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvmdev/2008-March/013318.html