[LLVMdev] GSoC Mips backend improvement

Bruno Cardoso Lopes bruno.cardoso at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 21:02:05 PDT 2008

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 2:22 AM, Chris Lattner <sabre at nondot.org> wrote:
>  Hi Bruno!

Hi Chris,

>  I think that improving the MIPS backend would be great.  However,
>  instead of "general improvements", I'd strongly suggest focusing your
>  efforts on a specific use (e.g. PSP, PS2 or whatever else you have to
>  play with).
>
>  Based on that, I'd work on getting the rest of llvm-test to work,
>  adding subtarget features (FP etc) needed for that specific CPU, then
>  working on performance etc.
>
>  I think this would be a much more useful and focused project than just
>  "make the backend better".  This will also hopefully allow us to say
>  "llvm supports MIPS for the PSP" (or whatever), instead of just saying
>  "we support some mips chips".   What do you think?

You're right, the focused approach is more likely to get better results!
I'll focus on PSP at the proposal, it seems the better choice too me,
it would be nice to hear "llvm supports MIPS for the PSP" ;)

--
Bruno Cardoso Lopes ( now @ Cocos Island )
http://www.brunocardoso.cc

++ The saddest aspect of life right now is that
science gathers knowledge faster than society
gathers wisdom + Isaac Asimov