[LLVMdev] Proposal for GSoC project for improving llvm-test testsuite

John Criswell criswell at cs.uiuc.edu
Wed Mar 19 07:54:57 PDT 2008

Rajika Kumarasiri wrote:
> hello everybody,
> I would like to improve the llvm-test suite[1] as a part of GSoC 2008 program for LLVM.
> I have few concerns/problems regarding this, please give me your feedbacks and suggestions to come up with the proper proposal.

So, here's the type of programs that I would like to see added to
llvm-test.  These are biased by past and current research agendas, so
I'd be interested in knowing whether others would find such additions
useful:

1) Pointer intensive applications (especially those written in C).  We
have a number of transforms that either improve memory performance
(Automatic Pool Allocation) or whose overhead can be greater for pointer
intensive programs (SAFECode).  Having such programs would be useful for
our research; they could also be used by others who are working on
pointer-analysis based optimizations for LLVM.

2) Programs that are memory intensive (for the same reasons that I want
pointer intensive programs).

3) Programs that are known to have found bugs in LLVM.  There are many
programs that LLVM compiles correctly.  However, if you find one that
exposes one or more bugs in LLVM, it might make a good candidate.
kimwitu++ is in the test suite because it triggered 4 bugs and motivated
1 JIT optimization.

-- John T.