[LLVMdev] Proposal for a Google summer of code project for the Java frontend.

Ramón García ramon.garcia.f at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 07:31:27 PDT 2008

The memory consumed by the code compiled is huge in server applications. And
it is not shared by different virtual machine instances. By contrast,
shared libraries
are memory mapped, therefore they are shared between different instances of the
executables using them. It is posible to throw away code after using
it, but then
compilation cost would be repeated.

And dynamic compilation prevents expensive optimization techniques.

>  Can you tell me why dynamic compilation consumes memory? Except the fact
>  that you need to embed a JIT in your VM, dynamic compilation should not
>  consume that much memory. Once a method is compiled you can throw away
>  the intermediate representation. Or are you talking about constrained
>  devices where you do not want to embed a JIT?

Ramon