[LLVMdev] NewNightlyTester.pl: split into phases?

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Tue Mar 11 08:14:16 PDT 2008

Am Samstag, den 08.03.2008, 14:02 -0800 schrieb Tanya Lattner:
> - ability to check out llvm-gcc or update llvm-gcc and build it before
> running tests.

This seems to be a bit more complicated than I thought. There are
variations in the build process depending on whether it's a Darwin
system or not, installed gcc version, and presence or absence of
multilib extensions. I'm not sure that a simple-minded script can
reliably detect all the differences.
The alternative would be options and letting the user configure.

Writing a script would be a difficult task, since it would have to be
tested on as many architectures and configurations as possible, with the
developer having to rely on error reports to fix things (difficult, lots
of work, slow progress).
Options, on the other hand, would tend to perpetuate current entry
barriers.

I'm not too happy about either option, but probably a choice must be
made.
Which shall it be?

>  In addition to using a prebuilt binary.

This would be simple, of course.