[LLVMdev] Instruction Scheduling

Evan Cheng evan.cheng at apple.com
Mon Mar 3 00:15:18 PST 2008

You must be using an older release of llvm. There are only three
variants left: list-tdrr, list-burr, and list-td. These are all fairly
basic: list scheduling for minimum latency (top down only, bottom up
isn't implemented due to lack of time), list scheduling for minimum
register pressure (both top down and bottom up, but in fact only the
bu variant has been actively maintained).

x86 and arm defaults to list-burr, it does a reasonable job of
minimize register pressure. Recently I haven't noticed many cases
where it break down. ppc defaults to list-td, it uses a fairly simple
hazard recognizer to form good dispatch groups.

There hasn't been any real scheduling study done using llvm as far as
I am aware.

Evan