[LLVMdev] New llvm-db ?

Argiris Kirtzidis akyrtzi at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 08:50:38 PDT 2008

Hi,

I'm interested in hearing your opinions on whether a new debugger is a
worthwhile goal.
The kind of debugger that I'm referring to is not a LLVM bitcode-only
one like the (now deprecated) llvm-db, but a native one with full
support for both native code and LLVM JIT generated code.

In the short term it would be far easier to modify gdb and make it
cooperate with the LLVM JIT compiler, but in the long term it seems that
a new debugger engine based on a library architecture, that is easily
extendable and embeddable like all of the LLVM projects, would be useful
in general, and in particular very useful for projects like vmkit.

I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts on this.

-Argiris