[LLVMdev] LLVM and loop optimizations

Gaster, Benedict Benedict.Gaster at amd.com
Wed Jun 11 03:59:22 PDT 2008

Hello,

We are currently evaluating LLVM as a compiler technology against Open64
and have a few questions regarding its currently status with respect to
optimizations in particular.

Control flow is often expensive on the architectures we are considering
and as such loop optimizations, e.g. unroll and jam, can play an
important role. For example, consider the following program

int a[4][4];

int b[4][4];

int c[4][4];

int main(void)

{

  int i, j, k;

  for(i = 0; i < 4; i++)

  {

    for(j = 0; j < 4; j++)

    {

      c[i][j] = 0;

      for (k = 0; k < 4; k++)

                c[i][j] = a[i][k] * b[k][j] + c[i][j];

    }

  }

  return c[2][3];

}

If I compile this with std-compile-opts the inner loops are completely
unrolled and thus unroll-and-jam is not important here but I'm assuming
this is down to the fact that the loop bounds are known and small.
Assuming this was not the case what  I would like to be able to do is
unroll the loop iterating over "j" some number of times and then fuse
the resulting instances of the inner loop, e.g:

for(i=O; i<4; i++)

  for(j=O; j<4; j+=2)

  {

     c[i][j]      = 0;

     c [i][j+1]= 0;

     for(k=O; k<4; k++)

     {

        c[i] [j]    = a[i][k]*b[k] [j]+c[i][j];

        c[i][j+1]= a[i][k]*b[k] [j+1]+c[i] [j+1];

     }

  }

Of course this is the well known unroll-and-jam optimization, described
by Car and Kennedy*, and I was wondering if there are plans to add this
and other additional loop optimizations to LLVM in the near future?

Thanks for any information you can provide around this.

Ben

*S. Carr and K. Kennedy, "Improving the ratio of memory operations to
floating-point operations in loops," ACM Transactions on Programming
Languages and Systems, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 1768-1810, 1994.