[LLVMdev] DejaGNU test fixes

Dale Johannesen dalej at apple.com
Tue Jun 10 11:28:13 PDT 2008

On Jun 10, 2008, at 9:32 AMPDT, Matthijs Kooijman wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> while writing a testcase thate needed to do a grep containg {, I
> found that
> the DejaGNU test framework didn't handle those very well. It's a bit
> of a fuss
> to escape accolades properly, but most of all the framework seemed
> to silently
> ignore errors in the escaping (and just not run the command then).
> See [1].
>
> Fixing the framework resulted in 80 of the tests failing. I spent the
> afternoon fixing 60 tests. Of these, I fixed 42 that have been
> running fine so
> far, but generated output on stderr or were marked as failing for
> some other
> reason. Additionally, I fixed 18 test cases that were not run or
> only partly
> run before (though all of those passed after fixing the test case).
>
> I leave the remaining 20 failing testcases, since I do not see a clear
> resolution for them. In a lot of cases disabling or fixing a warning
> might be
> enough, but since I can't always see what a test is supposed to
> test, I'm
> afraid that that will actually render the testcase useless.
>
> Of these final 20 tests, 3 are related to bugpoint producing stderr
> output (but I
> can't see if that is expected output or not). Two are related to an
> invalid
> -mcpu option, I think the corresponding RUN lines should be removed or
> changed? One is related to the -mattr=sse1 option that is not
> supported
> (anymore?). The remaining 14 are warnings produced by llvm-gcc.
>
> I've attached the error output for the remaining 20 tests, please
> check it and
> fix them where possible.

My failure log is not identical to yours, but I've fixed some of the
problems:

Using -mattr=sse1 was wrong, it's spelled sse.
9 tests got warnings from the gcc FE.  I believe these are all
legitimate,
so I just suppressed the warnings with -w, which will not interfere with
running the llvm pieces.  (Perhaps it is better to do this in the
script?  Code
that gets warnings should be testable.)
1 was using %llvmgxx (which includes -c) instead of %link to link.
Now that
is fixed and the test fails with a more reasonable error.