[LLVMdev] Problems with iterator.h

Hendrik Boom hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Sun Jun 8 15:03:44 PDT 2008

On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 12:21:17 +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 23:32:14 -0700, Chandler Carruth wrote:
>

>> There is another way to resolve this, run make install, and then use
>> the installed llvm-config, which will include a single directory
>> containing both generated and regular header files. If *that* part
>> doesn't work, please respond or open a PR. I'll be happy to prod
>> llvm-config until it works correctly. However, I'm not sure trying to
>> support all the bizarre ways ./configure and Make can build the
>> generated files within llvm-config is a worthwhile investment of time.
>>
>> -Chandler
>>

> I checked my installation diary (yes, I did make one) and indeed I did
> not perform a make install.  Xhwxking back, I was not instructed to in
> the installation instructions in
> http://llvm.org/docs/GettingStarted.html. "install" is mentioned as a
> useful make target.
>
> Perhaps "gmake install" should be promoted to an actual installation
> step in the instructions.  That might be the simplest fix for the
> problem.

Updated source from svn, rebuilt, and this time did
  make install
and llvm-config now seems to behave itself.  It would definitely be good
to place make install in the getting started documentation.as a separate
installation step, after gmake -j2 and before the discussion of other
possible make targets.  Yes, gmake install is mentioned in that
discussion, but not as an installation step.  It would have helped
keeping me from going astray.

Incidentally, in the section "Local LLVM Configuration" you should
explicitly mention the "--prefix" option.  Yes, I know it's mentioned in
the |Getting Started Quickly" section, but the whole thing ends up being
a bit like the two creation stories at the beginning of Genesis --
they're not the same.  The naive reader will likely be following the more
detailed of the sets of instructions, and miss the option entirely.

-- hendrik