[LLVMdev] Variable length condition code for SETCC and SELECT?

B. Scott Michel scottm at aero.org
Fri Jun 6 16:53:13 PDT 2008

B. Scott Michel wrote:
> It'd be easy to hack PromoteOp to make a pass to determine all operands'
> promoted value types, take the max, then figure out some way to
> re-promote them to maximal promoted value type. Except that this is a
> non-optimal solution requiring PromoteOp to potentially traverse the
> operand tree twice.
>
> Any suggestions or ideas?

Not many suggestions or ideas, given the feedback so far. I'm not sure
that two passes down a Node's Operand DAG can be avoided. The first pass
would determine the maximal MVT needed, the second pass would generate
the promoted Nodes.

In the absence of any suggestions or ideas, it's off to begging
forgiveness if the patch confuses people and code. :-)

-scooter